The Report of the Early Reading Success Panel
Connecticut State Department of Education -- 2000
A report of the Early Reading Success Panel, who's state-mandated goal was to identify the professional development for teachers, school administrators, and school librarians K-3 necessary for reading success. The focus is on urban and priority schools, but is relevant to all citizens of Connecticut . This is a very large document, which is divided into multiple chapters for ease in viewing.
Note: This is a large document: 97 pages. It is presented in sections in order to decrease download time to your local computer. Please consider downloading (copying/saving) the individual file/s to your local computer for viewing and printing. Document will print in black and white. Set printer to "Print as image" and "Fit to page". Best viewed at 100% in Adobe Acrobat.
- Front Cover -(Will display/print in monochrome), Inside Front Cover - CT State Board of Education, Title Page, Acknowledgment, Contents, Preface, Early Reading Success Panel, Special Thanks (10 pp.)
- Early Reading Success Panel Report, Executive Summary, Conclusions, About this report (10 pp.)
- Section I -- Why Beginning Reading Instruction Matters, Introduction, The Nature of Proficient Reading, The Importance of Oral Language as a Foundation for Reading (8 pp.)
- Children Who Speak English Dialects, Emergent Literacy, The Nature of Written English (6 pp.)
- The Goals of Reading Instruction, A Comprehensive Curriculum of Reading Instruction (10 pp.)
- A Comprehensive Curriculum of Reading Instruction-continued, Other Important Considerations in a Comprehensive Curriculum, The Role of Library Media Specialists, The Role of Reading Specialists, Early Intervention with Children Experiencing Reading Difficulties (10 pp.)
- Section II -- Abilities and Knowledge Needed By K-3 Teachers of Literacy, Children's Reading Competencies (K-3) (11 pp.)
- Children's Reading Competencies (K-3) - continued, Using Assessment to Guide Instruction, Critical Indicators for Teacher Intervention (K-3) (12 pp.)
- Teacher Competencies for Effective Primary Reading Instruction (4 pp.)
- Teacher Competencies - continued (9 pp.)
- The Importance of High-Quality Preservice Teacher Education, The Need for Ongoing Professional Development,Conclusion, Glossary (6 pp.)
- References,Back Cover (7 pp.)