At the very successful 2013 Hartford Flower Show last weekend, eight community and non-profit organizations combined their efforts to promote gardening and floral events in the City of Hartford that begin March 1st and run through June 2013.
Hartford Blooms was established in 1995 by Mayor Mike Peters, the City Council and the Knox Parks Foundation. This ongoing program places 750 planters and hanging containers throughout Hartford and contributes to the vibrancy and beauty of the city.
Hartford Blooms also presents awards to homes, businesses and civic organizations for outstanding landscape and garden design.
Continuing this tradition in the Spring/Summer of 2013, a collection of Hartford neighborhoods, parks, and museums will present a flow of floral events under the banner of Hartford Blooms.
This continually evolving and expanding series is seeking to both enhance and showcase urban areas with community gardens, sustainable landscapes and containers, and to feducate with neighborhood walking tours. Similar programs have been established with great success in cities such as Buffalo, NY (see: NationalGardenFestival.com).
The promotion of the Hartford Blooms series is a great step in furthering Hartford’s historic appeal tourism and will benefit the entire community.
• March 1st, Knox Greenhouse Party. 860-951-7694
• March 4-15, Elizabeth Park Flower Show. 860-231-9443
• March 23, Knox Spring Fever Bulb planting. 860-951-7694
• April 19-20, Wadsworth Arts and Flowers. 860-278-2670
• May 19, Ashley Street “Mulch Day” with NINA refreshing last year’s front yard gardens and adding new ones. Reception to follow.
• June 1, West End Garden tour. 12 gardens will open for tours. 860-509-9519
• June 1, Nook Farm plantings will be part of the day. 860-522-9258
• June 1, The Butler McCook will have a house and garden tour. 860-522-1806
• June 1, Trinity Episcopal Church’s garden will be open. 860-527-8133
• June 8, NINA walking tour of area gardens (20-30) with reception. 860-244-9390
• June 22-23, Rose weekend at Elizabeth Park.860-231-9443
• Other Knox events: April, May, June. 860-951-7694
• Other Elizabeth Park events through its Conservancy. 860-231-9443