Hartford Mayoral Race Thins Out As Wooden Drops His Bid
By Jeff Cohen
June 30, 2011
A Democratic opponent to Hartford Mayor Pedro Segarra has dropped out of this year's mayoral race. As WNPR's Jeff Cohen reports, the deal was apparently brokered by Governor Dannel Malloy.
On the steps of Hartford's city hall, Malloy began a press conference by saying that Hartford can't afford a divisive mayoral primary between Segarra and one of his opponents -- Shawn Wooden.
"As an outside observer it simply made too much sense to me not to try to bring these two forces of nature together."
Malloy's involvement is noteworthy, given tensions between previous city administrations and the governor's office. Segarra took over last year after the resignation of former Mayor Eddie Perez, who was convicted on corruption charges.
Wooden is an attorney in the city. In press releases from earlier this year, he said Segarra's behavior on the job "isn't the leadership that Hartford deserves." Wooden also said that Hartford had a "real leadership crisis in City Hall."
But at the press conference, Wooden distanced himself from his prior remarks. And the governor helped him do so.
Wooden: I do not question, at all, his leadership for this...
Malloy: Let me say you something. I wasn't so happy with the mayor when he supported another candidate for office one time, either. So, these things move on, you know. They figure it out.
Segarra supported Malloy's Democratic opponent for governor, Ned Lamont.