Early Courant Homes Not Around Anymore For Memorials
April 4, 2007
SINCE YOU ASKED: HARTFORD
Has The Courant ever considered memorializing its early locations? M.S., Tacoma, Wash.
Until The Courant moved to its current address at 285 Broad St., Hartford, it occupied several properties on or near Main Street. Early structures no longer stand, and Courant officials have no plans to memorialize the locations.
The first location was above James Mooklar's barber shop on the west side of Queen Street, as Hartford's main thoroughfare was then called. The approximate spot is now the corner of Main and Pearl streets, occupied by the Gold Building. When founder Thomas Green rented the space, the rugged street was lined with clapboard houses, small shops and elm and maple trees. The shop was across the street from the Court House and Flagg Tavern - a favorite haunt of politicians during sessions of the General Court.
Green and his assistant, Ebenezer Watson, published the first issue of The Connecticut Courant on Oct. 29, 1764. He invited subscribers to sign up for the weekly paper at the printing office "near the North Meeting House."
Green moved the newspaper office in 1765 to the second floor of a store owned by James Church. It stood opposite the Court House and next to Bull's Tavern. In 1768, Watson became editor and The Courant moved to the west side of Main Street near the Great Bridge over the Park River.
In 1775, The Courant joined forces with paper manufacturer Hudson & Goodwin, which became publisher. In 1796, The Courant moved to a new brick building near its original location, but on the east side of Main Street. Hudson & Goodwin dissolved their partnership in 1815. Goodwin & Sons took over The Courant and moved it to the upper floors of the Sheldon & Goodwin building at the corner of Main and Pratt streets. In 1867, the Courant moved to 14 Pratt St., where it occupied several floors on one side of a five-story building owned by Talcott & Post.
The last move of this era took place June 19, 1880, to company-owned property at 64-68 State St. The five-story, red-brick-and-mortar modern gothic structure contained recent inventions - an elevator for those brave enough to use it, and three telephones - but no typewriters. The Courant moved from this location to Broad Street in 1950 and 1951.
Information can be found in "Older Than the Nation: The Story of the Hartford Courant," by J.B. McNulty, and "One Hundred Years of Hartford's Courant from Colonial Times through the Civil War," by J.E. Smith.
Reprinted with permission of the Hartford Courant.
To view other stories on this topic, search the Hartford Courant Archives at